At Myant, we are creating the world’s first textile computing platform, integrating technology directly into the only thing we’ve been wearing our entire life – clothing. SKIIN is our first consumer facing brand, and SKIIN’s vision is to enhance human ability through connected clothing - think Ironman’s suit, but comfortable. The sensors and actuators embedded within our apparel create your Digital Identity, which will be consumed by those who matter to you - your family members, doctors, coaches, other IoT devices - without you consciously having to think about it. Imagine a world where you walk into your house and the temperature automatically adjusts to your optimal body temperature, the lights adjust to your mood, or your doctor is aware of the onset of a disease before you even visit. The line between the digital and physical world is becoming increasingly blurry, and we believe textile is the next medium to bridge that gap.
We’re looking for people who believe in our mission to make wearable technology truly ubiquitous and convenient, so that everyone can benefit from it. We are a cross-functional team solving big challenges at the intersection of fashion, electronics, software, and data science.
This individual will be supporting the R&D Director of Textiles and reporting to the President. They will oversee the aesthetic composition and design of products as well as managing the design & product development and knitting teams from concept development to production.
- Challenge and inspire the design and tech teams to conceptualize and design core and innovative collections each season
- Be able to lead and inspire a collaborative work environment and continually analyze the strengths and limitations of the design and tech team, creating strategies to maximize individual and team talent
- Work in collaboration with our design and product development team along with our knit programmers, pattern engineers, and textile engineers to research develop trends in different types of yarn and knitting structures to capture maximum functionality, both passively and technically, to sustain our goal of invisible, seamless technology and textile computing
- Lead the design and product development team in working with Myant’s cross disciplinary teams of engineers, design, user experience, production, etc.
- Work with our partners and clients to capture the design aesthetic while optimizing function in all projects and product lines
- Works with executive team to ensure all standards, requirements, costs and timelines are met
- Ensure Myant’s brand image and integrity is upheld throughout the development processes through to the finished product
- Constantly strive to improve processes to increase production efficiencies and decrease production time
- Be highly aware of what is happening in the active and performance industry
- Have understanding and constant awareness of the wearable technology space
- Remain fluid and be able to react quickly to new projects and responsibilities
- Prepare presentations for internal discussions or client meetings
- College or University Degree/Diploma in Fashion or Textiles
- 10+ years experience in a senior role within design and product development
- Keen sense of style and form
- Strong understanding of bodymechanics
- Experience in manufacturing process
- Strong knowledge in knitted and woven fabrics as well as technical properties
- Knowledge in seamless circular knitting, flat knitting and warp knitting would be a great asset
- Working knowledge in textile testing and standards with general knowledge of ISO9001:2015
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in managing a small team
- Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Strong time management, project management and critical thinking skills
- Be able to make quick and calculated decisions
- Creative and extremely detailed oriented
- Fluid, flexible and adaptable in approach